Justice League of WNY
Props and Weapons Policy
While we all know and love characters with cool weaponry or outragously cool props, because we do appearances that will often be outside the more controled envirionment of a convention, we need to have a few guidelines and rules to ensure everyone’s safety.
- All costume props and weapons must conform to state and federal law.
- No firearms, airsoft weapons, paintball weapons, tazers, batons, pepper spray, or replicas of guns.
- No functional bows and arrows.
- Any prop guns must look like a prop from 50 feet away, and by Federal Law must have an orange tip.
- No costume prop or weapon may generate odor, smoke, or fog, or have overly bright or flashing lights.
- No live steel. Live steel is defined as swords, knives, or other objects made of metal, which can take an edge. Dull metal weapons are considered live steel, and therefore are not permitted.
- No metal or wood bats, metal pipes, or long metal chains.
- Costume swords & blades must be tied to your costume in such a way that they can’t be drawn. (Peacebound). Exceptions may be considered for photo ops under controled circumstances (ie photo booth).
- Any item that is designed or manufactured with the intent to cause bodily injury or death, any item that is illegal in the state of New York, or any other item that appears dangerous or may pose a risk of harm will not be allowed
- Operating a prop to shoot an object of any material is not allowed.
- You may display your prop weapons only as costume pieces.
- Do not swing or brandish your prop weapon in any way that could be considered unsafe or threatening.
- You may pose with a prop weapon in a brandishing manner under controled circumstances, so long as no reasonable person would interpret it as anything but a pose for dramatic effect.
- Keep control of your props and weapons at all times.
Do not allow the general public to play with them.
- Projectile costume weapons must be rendered inoperable.
- Functional (real) arrows must have their tips removed and be bundled and zip-tied to a quiver.
(*Text borrowed heavily from WorldCon & Comic-Con Policies)
Justice League of WNY, Props and Weapons Policy, Version 1